Growing native plants and trees from carefully sourced seed is one of our main activities in supporting the Mayor's Monarch Pledge. It is also one way to be good stewards of nature.
Native plants are important host plants for local pollinators. For example, milkweeds are the only plants that a Monarch butterfly will lay her eggs on because these are the only plants that can feed the Monarch caterpillars.
Native plants also provide habitat for many species that they have co-evolved with for thousands of years.
With native pollinator populations declining due to habitat loss, pesticide use and climate change, one thing we can do to support them is by planting more native species as viable habitat for them. Together we can make a difference.
Keep an eye out on our Events page and social media, for information about our plant sales and seed exchanges!
Here are some native plant nurseries and seed suppliers below.
Native Plant Nurseries and Seed Suppliers
- Aamjiwnaang Greenhouse - Aamjiwnaang First Nation (by Sarnia, ON); Treaty 29
- A Cultivated Art - Ottawa, ON; Treaty 27
- Bee Kissed Seeds - Stoney Creek-Hamilton, ON; Treaty 3
- Bee Sweet Nature Company - Puslinch, ON; Treaty 3
- Golden Alexanders Nursery - Sarnia, ON; Treaty 29
- Heavenly Earth Native/Carolinian Tree & Shrub Nursery - Bothwell, ON; Treaty 2
- In Our Nature - Alton (Caledon), ON; Treaty 19
- Kayanase Greenhouse - Ohsweken in Six Nations of the Grand River (by Brantford, ON); Treaty 4
- Lacewing Plants & Seedlings - Markdale, ON; Treaty 18
- Little Otter Tree Farm - Tilsonburg, ON; Treaty 3
- Mitigominnpn Native Plant Nursery at the Alderville Black Oak Savanna - Alderville First Nation (by Cobourg, ON); Williams Treaty
- Native Plant Nurseries - Pefferlaw or Tottenham, ON; Williams Treaty and Treaty 18
- Native Plant Source - Breslau (Kitchener-Guelph), ON; Haldimand Treaty and Treaty 4
- Native Plants in Claremont - Claremont (Pickering), ON; Williams Treaty
- Native Trees and Plants - Amherstburg (Windsor-Essex), ON; Treaty 35?
- North American Native Plant Society & Seed Exchange - Mostly Ontario-wide; multiple treaty & unceded territories
- Northern Wildflowers - Lively (Sudbury), ON; Treaty 61
- Ontario Flora - Markdale, ON; Treaty 18
- Ontario Native Plant & Seed Exchange Facebook Group - Ontario-wide; multiple treaty & unceded territories
- Ontario Native Plants - Flamborough (Hamilton), ON; Treaty 3
- Origin Native Plants - Guelph, ON; Treaty 3
- Ottawa Wildflower Seed Library - Ottawa, ON; Treaty 27 and Algonquin Land Claim
- Prairie Moon Nursery - Minnesota, USA; Cession 289 (only shipping seeds to Canada)
- Prairie Song Nursery and Restoration - Port Rowan, ON; Treaty 3
- Return the Landscape - Aamjiwnaang First Nation and Sarnia-Lambton, ON; Treaty 29
- Seeds of Diversity - Seed libraries and exchange events Canada-wide; multiple treaty & unceded territories
- St. Williams Nursery & Ecology Centre - St. Williams (by Port Rowan), ON; Treaty 3
- Swallowtail Native Plants - Durham region, ON; Williams Treaty (Seeds will be available Fall 2023)
- Thedford Native Plants - Thedford (Lambton Shores), ON; Treaty 29